Re: Increasing Shared Memory - on MacOS X

От Chris Ruprecht
Тема Re: Increasing Shared Memory - on MacOS X
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
At 14:21 -0500 01/24/2002, Zhang, Anna wrote:
>You need to increase SHMMAX. For solaris, it's in /etc/system file; Linux:
>/etc/sysctl.conf. You should know corresponding file for your system or
>check with your SA to figure out.

I have this well under control on my production server (Linux) with
/sbin/sysctl. I am doing development on a PowerBook G4 running MacOS
X 10.1.2 and I have tried to up the shared memory on the
postgres.conf file. I have it at 256 8K blocks and it's working, but
it's pretty slow. When I try and specify more memory (512 8K Blocks
or more), I get an error, telling me that the system is not allowing
more.
I can not ask my SA, I AM the SA ;-). And there are no recognizable
files in or around the /etc directory, I can modify. MacOS X has the
sysctl command, but there is no kern.shmmax parameter to read or set.
This is a MacOS X SPECIFIC question, and solutions for other UNIXen
don't quite apply.
I checked on the web and any other available resource on this, but
came up empty handed ...

Best regards,
Chris
--
Chris Ruprecht
Network grunt and bit pusher extraordinaíre